The paths we take to reach our goal will determine our understanding once we are there.

About Me

My photo
In an effort to define myself, I am reminded of something I once read: “Scarcely is anyone the person they were meant to be”. I’ve been many things since the age of seventeen; a soldier, a traveler, a student of trades, a father (to the most unique girl in the world!), and eventually an author. After all these years, I realize that it was never about all the things I could have been, it was what I was always meant to be; a writer. I keep three very close friends. (Who has time for more?) I avidly atv, canoe, read, and ponder on life. I like to be challenged with philosophical questions, even when I do not know the answers. I generally like to think and create. I have a passion for loyalty, and it shows within my living and writings. My life is full of exploration, the next great adventure; a constant always wonder of what could be.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Lost and Found

                I began this study with a curiosity of the growing interest in mobile media. It seemed that everywhere eyes were locked to mobile device screens. So much so, that even in this age, a person could go unnoticed. I would be thinking, the world is all around you! Nowadays, it’s visibly apparent to anyone that has the ability of sight just how indispensable mobile accessibility has become.
punchsolutions.com

                With a global population of well over 7 billion people and nearly 7,000 million of those engaged in mobile activities, it’s easy to get lost in the numbers. Granted, it’s irrelevant if all anyone wanted was to be a phone call away from a loved one. But those days have quickly passed. A phone discussion is the last amenity of a cellphone today. Who has time for that today? Mobile devices have become more than just a tool to get lost in. They have come to the point of defining a person’s very existence.
Digitalcitizenshipdr.com
                Something I have learned from this study is that it is all connected. A person isn't lost within their device; they are lost apart from it. You are known by your digital presence. A reluctance to connect, to contribute to the social endeavors of Facebook and Twitter, to be endorsed by the professions of LinkedIn, or to have your words amplified in blogs around the globe, insures that you will go unnoticed. You will be obscure from any mind that matters, whether it be professional or social. It’s not that you aren't worth knowing, it’s that you won’t be found.

                If there is any hope of being regarded as a professional writer, I too need to be heard. So I now understand the unbroken stares upon the screens. I understand the constant obsession, whether for publicity or simply for companionship. An actual conversation has become an unexpected prize. But I appreciate when the eyes lift and the voice asks, “You on the twitter?” And I say yes.


U.S. and World Population Clock. United States Census Bureau, 2014. Web. 12 April 2014.


Global mobile statistics 2014 Part A: Mobile subscribers; handset market share; mobile operators. Mobi Thinking, 2014. Web. 12 April 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment